Wednesday 20 January 2010

South African Visit

.......I'm a bit of a travel addict. I've come to realise and think i'm getting worse! I actually love the act of travelling itself. I like packing, making lists of what needs to go and i even like airports. If that makes me odd so be it. You are what you are.


I'm en route to southern Africa to check out a number of our fabulous operators in this amazing continent. Just got off a flight to Johannesburg from Heathrow T5. The British Airways flight went without a hitch and reminded me how easy it is to fly to Africa.


I left Heathrow bang on time at 2100. Had a glass of wine and dinner. Slept pretty well after watching a film that i can't now remember what it was about and awoke to sunshine and breakfast ready to disembark at 0900 local time. No jet lag and only a 2 hour time difference, plus 2. That's amazing as when you get off the plane not only are you in a different continent you are in a different hemisphere and therefore walk into the warmth of a mid summers day. Bliss after the hammering we are having with the weather inthe UK.


If i was to be going to one of the great operators we have in the Limpopo region of South Africa i would then hop in a car if self drive or be met by a driver and a mini bus which is what many guests prefer, and its a mere 3 to 4 hour drive to another world. I could be riding by lunchtime amongst the African big game.


But i'm not doing that this time.


I;m off to a more far flung destination. To Zimbabwe or Zim as its known out here. To Victoria Falls to be precise. One of the eight wonders of the world and the gateway to a huge area of untamed bush called Hwange. Just getting on the flight now. Just under 2 hrs north towards Tropic of Capricorn on South African Airways. A very good airline i have to say and competitively priced as well.


More of this journey tomorrow. I need to dash.

No comments:

Post a Comment